Monday, January 24, 2011

Monday reading update

After I posted my most recent book review, I meant to put up a current reading update. Obviously, I didn't. But I am reading.

I've got two books going now, from very different parts of the spectrum.

First, I'm reading Mercy, Mercy Me: The Art, Loves & Demons of Marvin Gaye (Basic Civitas Books, 2004; 290 pages), by Michael Eric Dyson. This isn't a biography, but an analysis of Gaye's music, his influences, and his impact on American culture. Quite interesting, so far.

On a completely different note, I'm also reading Sight Unseen: Science, UFO Invisibility and Transgenic Beings (Atria Books, 2003; 406 pages), by Budd Hopkins and Carol Rainey. It's the first UFO book I've read in a few years, having read a lot on the subject when I was young but then abandoned the subject a few years ago when they just kept getting more and more stupid. I haven't made up my mind about this one yet. There are problems with it, as far as proofreading and typographical errors and with a seeming overreach for explanations that are "scientific", but there's also some information that I'm finding interesting. We'll see how it progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment