Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thursday Update...

I finally gave up on Mirage Men. I just couldn't do it. The subject matter was interesting...I'm interested in belief systems, so I'm always interested to read about conspiracy theories (this one being that the CIA and other US secret agencies have been behind UFO activity, either through testing secret aircraft or through staging...really hoaxing...sightings, at least since the 1950s and perhaps even earlier), and so I'm always fascinated to learn why people believe the theories that they believe and why they reject the ones they don't believe. I really wanted to read this book.

However, the writing was not stellar, to say the least. The author seemed to feel free to be snarky about people and events he didn't like or believe. It was just too negative an experience all around that I wasn't motivated to continue.

So, that's two books I've given up on so far this year, compared with four read since the beginning of the year. Not a very good ratio, I suppose.

Giving up on that book opened up time to begin another book, and so yesterday afternoon I started reading Exile on Main St.: A Season in Hell With The Rolling Stones (Da Capo Press, 2006; 258 pages), by Robert Greenfield. I'm already nearly halfway through it and finding it a good read. It revolves around the time in the early 1970s when the Stones were tax exiles in France and working on the recording of "Exile on Main St.", considered to be one of the band's best albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment