Sunday, February 6, 2011

An epic sigh of frustration, or, Sunday update

I've completely given up on Mercy, Mercy Me. I just can't make myself read any more. I'm very disappointed, but at this point, I will not finish the book. Maybe I'll give it anoter try sometime. It wouldn't be the first book that it took more than one try for me to get thruogh. Dune took three or four tries, for example.

And then there's Mirage Men. I've been attempting to continue with it, and I'm a third of the way through it now. At that point, I feel some obligation to finish it, having spent as much time on it as I have. I'm intrested in the material. I certainly wouldn't put it past some of the alphabet agencies to manufacture UFO sightings for their own edifcation and enjoyment. I'm not convinced that this completely expains the UFO phenomenon...the author reports that this may have been happening since the late 1940s or early 1950s, and I'm not sure why they would be continuing to do such things sixty years and a little more down the road, and goodness knows such sightings are still being made. Just in the recent past, I've seen headlines about reports in places like China and Jerusalem. Haven't those agencies got more important fish to fry?

But, even though I am interested in the material, and even though I'm still trying to stay with the book all the way through, I'm still not sure I'm going to be able to stand it. I'm not especially impressed with the author's ability to present information. I keep thinking, as I read, how does he know that the information he has been given...after all, someone he mentions as having "ties" to some of those alphabet agencies sent him off on at least one tangent of his research...isn't disinformation, and that he isn't being played by someone? How can I know that he isn't part of the very kinds of information manipulation he has been saying agencies like the CIA and the NSA has indulged in, in the past?

It's like trying to follow most conspiracy theories, one of which is what his book is mainly proposing. At some point they just become too convoluted to follow, and finally, the reader has to throw up her hands and say, "Enough. This doesn't make any sense any more."

So, one down, the victim of over-analysis, and one still in progress. How much longer I'll keep reading, however, is anyone's guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment